Thursday, March 28, 2019

Thoughtful Thursday! Socratic method of writing

Okay, first, I give up. I didn't anticipate this blog being only about writing. But it is. So here we are. 

Anyway, for this Thoughtful Thursday, I have realized that my writing method has changed or maybe even improved? Or maybe just evolved. I still write what I see. But there is still a point in my writing where my mind goes completely blank. The first thing I do is usually re-read what I wrote, trying to keep the flow going. And sometimes that helps. For a time. Until I get another blank spot. So then I started asking myself some questions. Questions are important. They open the doors of possibility. 

Let's use yesterday's writing prompt for an example because that's how I even began the story.




In case you don't know, this is the writing prompt:

You are pulled over for seemingly no reason. The cop who pulled you over walks over to your window and asks for your license and registration. He looks terrified. He mouths to you, “help me.”

I read the writing prompt and it sounded interesting, but I had no idea what the police officer could need help with. Usually people go to the police for help, not the other way around. So then I thought, "Why is the police officer pulling over this specific person?" You can't really see someone very well when they are in a vehicle, but you definitely notice the automobile. 

I asked myself, "What kind of car would the person be driving that prompted the police officer to pull him over?" I thought about a semi-truck because those are really big and could plow through stuff. I thought about a motorcycle for a quick getaway. Or maybe it was an ambulance, maybe the police officer was having a stroke or something. Or maybe it was something ridiculous like an ice cream truck. I have never seen an ice cream truck get pulled over, but it sounded interesting. So I went with that. 

Then I thought about the police officer. What did the police officer look like? I realized it had to be a man because the writing prompt referenced to him as "he." So I thought maybe the guy getting pulled over thinks the reason why (since he didn't think he did anything wrong) was because the officer was fat. So then the whole scenario started to fall into place. 

And since the premise was weird, I figured, "Hey, why not up the ante and get weirder? Let's go with aliens. Guns would be useless against aliens anyway since they are so advanced."  

My questions are just brainstorming ideas. But the fact that I don't make them statements leaves more possibilities. I wasn't saying, "I need a reason for the police officer to pull this guy over." I thought about WHY. It sounds similar, but I spin it around to get me thinking of all different kinds of scenarios. Instead of a list of things that I needed to include in my writing, which makes it seem like a chore, I asked questions to invite more ideas and thoughts into my writing. It has really helped me so far. 

No comments:

Post a Comment